Social Mobilization activities on GFATM Round 8 Quarter 5 Roll Back Malaria
Thematic Area: Health and Reproductive Right
Malaria has been described as the number one killer of pregnant women and children under 5 years old. It constitutes a major public health problem in Nigeria accounting for 60% outpatient and 39% of all hospital admission.
It is against this backdrop that Gender Awareness Trust
with support from Society for Family Health (SFH) implemented the Global Fund
Round 8 Malaria in Nigeria that is aim at intensifying malaria control
interventions towards universal access in Nigeria. Concerned by the burden of
malaria and as a major cause of poverty and number one killer of women and
children. The programm's overall goal is to reduce by 50% the 2000 malaria
mortality and morbidity figure by 2013 and to minimize the socio-economic
impact of the disease. The project was conducted in 5 different communities of each of these LGAs of Kaduna State; Kaduna South, Makarfi, Kauru, Zangon Kataf, Jaba, Kaura, Kachia, Chikun, Kaduna North, Sabon-Gari, Jema'a and Sanga LGAs
The objectives of the project are:
- To contribute to the rapid scale-up to universal coverage of the population at risk of malaria in 2010 through 100% coverage and 80% of LLINs use and sustain this through 2013.
- To contribute to increasing prompt and effective treatment of malaria using ACTs to 80% of the population at risk by 2010 through 2013.
- To scale up parasitological diagnosis of malaria in patients above 5 years at health facilities by 80% by 2013.
- To reach at least 80% of the population at risk (families, communities' caregivers, health workers) through BCC for awareness and appropriatete action on malaria prevention and treatment.
- To contribute to health systems strengthening (including community health strengthening) through malaria control activities.
The BCC activities undertaken by GAT are:
- Advocacy to Community gate keepers and traditional leaders.
- Community Drama/Road shows
- Social Mobilization for LLINs distribution
- Overwhelming support for the project by key stakeholders
- Increased awareness on hang/keep up of the LLINs
- Increased awareness on the use of ACTs and other related recommended drugs.
Donor: Global Fund, SFH, Inter-Gender Development Centre Jos
|Location||Project Starts||Project Ends|
|Sanga, Jema’a, Kaura, Jaba, Kaduna North, Chikun, Makarfi, Sabon Gari, Kachia, Kauru, Zangon Kataf, Makarfi and Kaduna South LGAs of Kaduna State||2011-06-02||2013-05-30|